Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Common Core Concerns

Our district/state is currently making the move to the common core standards. I know many of you have been using the standards for a while now but California is a bit behind. In fact our state department only posted resources in the last six months. Because of this, I am so grateful to all of you who are already sharing your work with the common core! I don't know what I would do without you!

Our district has spent the last year introducing the common core through a series of nine mini-trainings. (Yes, nine...) Many of these trainings have left the teachers feeling overwhelmed and out-of-sorts, especially those who do not keep up with education movements. (I think someone in our first session said "Common Core? What's that?" I almost feel over. How can you not know what's going on in your professional field?)

One of my biggest concerns about Common Core is California specific (I think). We are supposed to begin teaching Core next year (2013-1014) but are still required to take the California Standards Test (CST) for the old standards. Is anyone else in this situation? Is this idea as inane as I think it is? What are your school/district/state plans for the transition?

What other bumps have you experience with the Core?



No comments: